Board of Education Minutes
July 29, 2019
UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 467
Meeting Time and Place
1. The Board of Education of Unified School District #467, Wichita County, Kansas met in regular session at 7:00 p.m., Monday, July 29, 2019 in Leoti.
2. Members present were: Brian Gerstberger, Jason Koehn, Jim Myers, Tammy Simons, Farrin Watt, Brandon Whalen, and Josh Young.
Also present were: Superintendent, Keith Higgins; Clerk, Tammy Mason; and Guests: Brant Douglas, Bruce Loy, and Ann Wiles.
Approved Consent Agenda
1. Jim Myers called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. After the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States flag, Jason Koehn motioned and Brian Gerstberger seconded to approve the consent agenda, with the addition of item D. 3, consisting of:
A. Agenda for the meeting.
B. Approve minutes of the July 8, 2019 meeting.
C. Payments of the bills and payroll.
D. Personnel Actions:
1. Accept a resignation from Mayra TorrezHernandez for JH Stuco co-sponsor.
2. Accept a resignation from Melissa Reed for JH Cheer co-sponsor.
3. Accept a resignation from Brian Bussen, 5th grade teacher.
E. Accept a donation from the Western Kansas Community Foundation for $300.00 to the WCJSHS FAID pathway for fashion apparel/interior design.
F. Accept a donation from the Western Kansas Community Foundation for $600.00 to the WCJSHS FACS Food Lab.
G. Accept a donation from the Western Kansas Community Foundation for $500.00 to the WCJSHS English Department Book Club.
H. Accept a donation from the Western Kansas Community Foundation for $399.80 to the WCJSHS PE Department for exercise mats.
I. Accept a donation from the Western Kansas Community Foundation for $100.00 to the school nurse for the Student Oral Health Project.
J. Accept a donation from the Wichita County Arts Alliance for $200.00 to the WCES Art Department for supplies.
K. Accept a donation from the Archer Daniels Midland Company for $13,000.00 to the WCJSHS Vo. Ag. for the greenhouse.
L. Accept a donation from Security State Bank for $5,100.00 to USD 467 for gym floor refinishing.
M. Approve the JH Cheerleader take and bake fundraiser at the Farmer’s Market before the fair.
N. Approve the HS Cheerleaders and Junior Class to have concessions fundraisers at the Rodeo. Ed Simon entered the meeting at 7:12 p.m. Motion passed 7-0.
Review of the 2019-20 Budget
2. Superintendent Higgins reviewed the proposed 2019-2020 Budget. Discussion was held. Farrin Watt motioned and Jason Koehn seconded to approve the 2019-2020 proposed budget. Motion passed 7-0.
The detailed proposed budget will be published in the Leoti Standard for two weeks prior to the budget hearing on August 19, 2019.
3. Two milk bids were presented. One bid from Hiland Dairy for an average milk price of 39 cents per carton and the second bid from Leoti Foods for a price of 32 cents per carton. Brian Gerstberger moved and Brandon Whalen seconded to approve the milk bid from Leoti Foods for 32 cents per carton for the 2019-2020 school year. Motion passed 7-0.
4. Tammy Simons motioned and Farrin Watt seconded to approve the Procurement Plan for Child Nutrition Programs in the state of Kansas for the 2019-2020 school year. Motion passed 7-0.
Phase 1 Re-Roofing and Water Heater/Sump Replacement
5. GMCN has additional architect fees that cover basic architectural design services, construction administration, the roof plan, roof details, and specifications. The Board has agreed to the fees. Discussion was held on the different areas of the school roofs replacement and the priority. Phase 1 of the project mostly covers the priority areas of the elementary school and the auditorium of the Jr./Sr. high school. Mr. Higgins was directed to check into having a pitch roof on some areas of the schools for future longevity. Jim Myers motioned and Josh Young seconded to approve the Phase 1 proposal for $387,850.00. Motioned passed 4-3 with Watt, Koehn, and Whalen voting no.
6. Bids were presented for replacing the Jr./Sr. high school water heaters and sewage ejector. Tatro bid $61,730.00 and Central Consolidated bid $67,650.00. Josh Young motioned and Brandon Whalen seconded to approve the bid from Tatro for $61,730.00. Motion passed 7-0.
Ann Wiles, Ed Simon, Brant Douglas, and Bruce Loy left the meeting at 8:34 pm.
Executive Session for Personnel
7. Brian Gerstberger motioned and Tammy Simons seconded to enter into executive session with Mr. Higgins present to discuss matters adversely or favorably affecting non-elected certified and classified staff pursuant to non-elected personnel exception under KOMA. The matters affecting the non-elected certified and classified staff members is their performance and employment. The Board will return to open session in the district board room at 9:30 p.m. Motion passed 7-0.
8. The regular meeting resumed at 9:30 p.m. Jason Koehn motioned and Josh Young seconded to approve the remaining classified staff contracts and salaries as discussed in executive session. Motion passed 7-0.
9. Brian Gerstberger motioned and Farrin Watt seconded to approve the principal contracts and salaries for Lori Maxwell and Delbert Schmidt as discussed in executive session with contracts through the end of the 2021 school year. Motion passed 7-0.
Adjournment 10. Jim Myers officially adjourned the meeting at 9:32 p.m
__________________________ Jim Myers, President
__________________________ Tammy Mason, Clerk of the Board