Board of Education Minutes
September 9, 2019
UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 467
Meeting Time and Place
1. The Board of Education of Unified School District #467, Wichita County, Kansas met in regular session at 7:00 p.m., Monday, September 9, 2019 in Leoti.
2. Members present were: Brian Gerstberger, Jason Koehn, Jim Myers, Tammy Simons, Farrin Watt, Brandon Whalen, and Josh Young.
Also present were: Superintendent, Keith Higgins; Clerk, Tammy Mason; WCJSHS Principal, Delbert Schmidt; WCES Principal, Lori Maxwell; Director of Buildings & Grounds/Transportation, Ed Simon; and Guests: Julie Conard, Lynda Goodrich, Nicole Fischer, Cambree Koehn, Daniel Romero, Sheldon Whalen, and Gabe Hernandez.
Approved Consent Agenda
1. Jim Myers called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. After the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States flag, Brian Gerstberger motioned and Brandon Whalen seconded to approve the consent agenda, consisting of:
A. Agenda for the meeting.
B. Minutes of the August 19, 2019 meeting.
C. Payments of the bills.
D. Personnel Actions: None.
E. Accept a donation of $2,765.13 from the Tribe Booster Club to WCJSHS for HS Football requests.
Motion passed 7-0.
WCJSHS STUCO & NHS
2. Julie Conard, NHS Sponsor, Nicole Fischer, STUCO Sponsor, Cambree Koehn, Daniel Romero, Sheldon Whalen, and Gabe Hernandez presented information to the Board on the “Be the Change” day. The high school STUCO and NHS groups, consisting of thirty students and two sponsors, attended the “Be the Change” day on September 3, 2019 at Camp Christy at Scott Lake. The groups worked on different skills sets to improve leadership within the school and community. The Board asked questions anD thanked the students and sponsors for sharing. The students left the meeting at 7:10 p.m.
3. Lynda Goodrich, Wichita County Clerk, presented sample ballots for the upcoming election. She asked if there were any name corrections on the ballots. Discussion was held. Lynda Goodrich left the meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Mrs. Conard’s Master’s Project
4. Mrs. Conard is working towards her Master’s degree, and asked the Board’s blessing to proceed with her project on female leadership using the school’s demographics and information. The Board approved.
5. Jason Koehn motioned and Farrin Watt seconded to enter into executive session with Mr. Higgins, Mr. Schmidt, and Ms. Maxwell present to discuss matters adversely or favorably affecting non-elected certified and classified staff pursuant to non-elected personnel exception under KOMA. The matters affecting the non-elected certified and classified staff members is their performance and employment. The Board will return to open session in the district board room at 7:33 p.m. Motion passed 7-0 6. The regular meeting resumed 7:33 p.m., no action was taken.
7. Brandon Whalen motioned and Brian Gerstberger seconded to enter into executive session with Mr. Higgins present to discuss matters adversely or favorably affecting non-elected certified and classified staff pursuant to non-elected personnel exception under KOMA. The matters affecting the non-elected certified and classified staff members is their performance and employment. The Board will return to open session in the district board room at 7:48 p.m. Motion passed 7-0.
8. The regular meeting resumed at 7:48 p.m., no action was taken. Jim Myers left the meeting at 7:49 p.m.
WCJSHS Principal’s Report
9. WCJSHS Principal, Mr. Schmidt, presented information on the Jr./Sr. High school. Fall activities have started. Fourteen families attended the Senior financial aid night at the high school. There are currently three students participating in the professional work experience out in the community. There are 169 students enrolled currently at the Jr./Sr. high school. There were 13 students inducted into NHS on August 27th. September 30 through October 5 is Homecoming week. A community trap organization is interested in starting a school trap team. Mr. Schmidt discussed the Chromebook usage thus far and the Go Guardian management program that staff utilizes with the Chromebooks.
WCES Principal’s Report
10. Ms. Maxwell, WCES Principal, presented updates on the grade school. The first PDC Wednesday was on September 4th. The staff will focus on curriculum for the grade school. The current enrollment is 234 students. Ms. Maxwell is currently working on the new school website to get it up and running. Vision & hearing tests are this week. Amber Porter has welcomed a new baby into her family and will be on maternity leave. Phillip Weilert also welcomed a baby into his family. Grands with Grands was a huge success! One hundred sixty two students and grandparents were served breakfast on September 6th. Upcoming events in September are Constitution Day on the 17th, Lifetouch pictures on the 24th, Kindergarten trip to the Lee Richardson Zoo on the 26th, and District Site Council meeting on the 30th.
11. Mr. Higgins, Superintendent, gave an update on the district budget. Signage for Safe Routes to School is in the process of being made before the signs can be hung around town. The city has agreed to allow the signage to be held on their existing poles. The Wellness Committee met on September 5th and discussed upcoming events for the year for staff and students, as well as, the plans for the greenhouse. ADM generously donated an additional $13,000 to build a greenhouse for the district. Dr. Fairchild is in the process of purchasing the items needed to complete the greenhouse. The city and school district will meet tomorrow night to discuss combining efforts to complete the bulb outs for safe crossing in front of the schools. Mr. Higgins presented the utility usage this year as compared to last year. The Board discussed meeting with Wheatland Electric again to investigate some cost saving options for the district. The Board discussed possible candidates for the Strategic Planning Committee for the school district and community. They would like to proceed with asking the community members to serve on the committee.
12. Brandon Whalen officially adjourned the meeting at 8:38 p.m.
__________________________ Brandon Whalen, Vice-President
__________________________ Tammy Mason, Clerk of the Board